If you are a CNS pharmacologist or chemist that shares our passion for science and our drive to make a big difference in the lives of patients with CNS disorders, please contact us at
to learn more about career opportunities at SAGE Therapeutics.
Associate Director/Director Toxicology
SAGE Therapeutics is seeking a seasoned Toxicologist to lead our toxicology and safety pharmacology studies for non-clinical R&D. Reporting to the Chief Scientific Officer, the successful candidate will be expected to participate on multidisciplinary drug discovery teams, where their role will be to plan, conduct and interpret non-clinical toxicology and Safety Assessment studies.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Develop strategy for the non-clinical toxicology and Safety Assessment studies in support of clinical development
- Manage toxicology and safety pharmacology studies for compounds in various stages of research and development
- Identify CROs for studies, oversee protocol design and serve as Study Monitor, (single/repeat dose toxicity, DART, genotoxicity, carcinogenicity studies, etc.)
- Visit CRO sites to review facilities and capabilities of potential toxicology and safety pharmacology collaborators
- Serve as the point on all Toxicology and safety pharm issues; identify and perform due diligence on external Sage consultants including coordination of all activities of externded Sage Toxicology and Safety pharm team
- Negotiate budgets with CRO’s; ensure their timely conduct and delivery of reports
- Prepare regulatory submissions and maintain regulatory submissions (annual reports, IBs, INDs and CTA’s)
- Aid in the preparation of responses to inquiries from regulatory agencies, Investigator's Brochure, nonclinical Pharmacology and Safety Assessment sections of INDs, CTA's and/or NDAs
- Participate on multidisciplinary drug discovery teams
Must thrive working in a fast paced innovative environment while remaining flexible, proactive, resourceful and efficient. Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to develop important relationships with key stakeholders, good conflict management and negotiation skills. Must excel in a multidisciplinary environment as an integral leader and team member across several project teams. Excellent problem solving ability and attention to detail are critical. Demonstrated ability to translate strategy into action while employing strong consensus-building skills. Ability to communicate complex issues in a simple way and to orchestrate plans to resolve issues and mitigate risks.
PREPARATION, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- PhD in a scientific discipline or DVM and a minimum of 7 years relevant experience. Board certification (DABT or DABVT ) preferred
- Experience working on small molecule pharmaceutical drug candidates required
- Experience with the development of CNS candidates highly preferred
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with Management and CRO’s
- An in-depth understanding of all aspects of pharmacology/toxicology with special emphasis on their application in drug discovery and the ability to work in a team-based drug discovery/development environment
- Strong reasoning ability in the identification of problems and the ability to draw conclusions and make responsible decisions
- The ability to utilize and/or develop connections within the scientific community and utilize these resources in the resolution of issues
- The ability to work in a matrix environment with cross-functional teams
- Understanding of current existing guidelines, regulations, requirements and standards (GLP, ISO, OECD, ICH)
Director of Informatics & IT
Sage is seeking an Informatics & IT professional to lead the continuing expansion of informatics capabilities at Sage through acquisition, implementation and development of software and systems. This individual will be expected to establish close partnerships with colleagues from multiple disciplines to translate business needs into state-of-the-art informatics solutions. He/She will be expected to set the vision for Sage informatics and to champion solutions that facilitate the company's success. This individual will primarily support our in-house scientific leadership and their acquisition, management, and analysis of data from their network of global scientific collaborators, but may also be called upon for leadership to maintain and grow a cutting edge cloud/in-house hybrid IT infrastructure to support the Sage Informatics Platform and users.
- Support Scientific Staff’s use of informatics systems
- Define and execute the overall project management approach for all informatics related projects across different functional areas
- Work closely with scientific leadership to identify needs; recommend and implement commercially available and/or custom-made software solutions for data analysis and management; integrate existing and future procedures to enable standardized data handling, storage and reporting
- Independently design, build, and integrate software tools and systems
- Write documentation and training materials to educate staff and collaborators in use of systems; train in-house and remote users
- Assist in annual budget planning
- As necessary, engage contractors, consultants and vendors to execute projects, optimize and improve existing systems
- May represent the company at scientific and professional meetings
- Maintain strong knowledge of informatics best practices
- Manage incoming requests for enhancements, bug fixes, etc. and provide timely solutions
- BS/BA degree in science or informatics with at least 8 years of industry experience in a biotech/pharma informatics group
- Demonstrated proficiency in Oracle and Microsoft SQL Server database design and development
- Fluent programmer with at least four years of experience in one of the following languages: Java, C#, C++, .Net
- Experience with at least one scripting language such as Python, Perl, Groovy
- Database development and maintenance for clinical data
- Understanding of Grails or framework a plus
- Experience utilizing open source initiatives to build software solutions
- Proficient with at least one of the following Cheminformatics toolkits: ChemAxon, OpenEye, Daylight or Accord
- Familiarity with industry tools such as Seurat, GraphPad Prism, Genedata, Instant JChem, e-Notebooks, and Chemical Drawing tools
- Data Analysis experience using at least one of the following: Spotfire, Pipeline Pilot, KNIME, Vortex
- Excel macro and add-in development proficiency highly valued
- Strong skills in web usability and application design
- Proficient Administrator of Enterprise Content Management Systems such as Sharepoint, Box, DropBox, etc
- Interest in appropriate application of emerging cloud technologies (file storage, collaboration, cloud disaster recovery)
- Experience using an outsourced Helpdesk IT provider for user and domain support, being a flexible technical resource for Office Management
- Experience developing datacenter requirements, encouraging best practices for maintenance, expansion and disaster recovery
- Background in science preferred
- Demonstrated problem-solving and troubleshooting skills
- Effective organizational, record keeping, and communication skills
- Track record of success in drug discovery informatics
- A good understanding of drug discovery and development
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment with busy, high performing colleagues – patient, positive, and persistent
- Proactive, can-do attitude
- Ability to build strong relationships with co-workers of various backgrounds and expertise
- Ability to function at a high level in a team setting whether leading the group or acting as an individual contributor
- Excitement about the vision and mission of Sage
- Values-based leadership
Director, Translational Neuroscience
SAGE Therapeutics is seeking an innovative, collaborative, and entrepreneurial neuroscientist to lead our Translational Neuroscience research efforts. We seek a scientist with strong in vivo preclinical biology expertise and the ability to integrate across core complementary technical disciplines, e.g., behavior, systems biology and neurophysiology, genomics etc. Experience with clinical aspects of translational biology and biomarker research is highly desirable.
The Director of Translational Neuroscience will be expected to design translational plans for Sage programs, as well as to conceive specific experiments to validate those plans. The candidate will select vendors to conduct preclinical and/or clinical translational studies, oversee experiments, interpret results, and present results in context for project teams. The ideal candidate will also provide strategic and operational leadership for a key discovery project team within our portfolio.
The candidate will be expected to thrive in a fast paced, dynamic, and nimble environment of an emerging start-up company that depends on strong links and collaboration with contract research organization, academia and nonprofit organizations.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS*
- Provide strategic and operational leadership for a key discovery project team within our portfolio.
- Apply strong in vitro biology expertise and integrate across core complementary technical disciplines including behavior, systems biology and neurophysiology, genomics, etc.
- Other duties as needed.
Must thrive working in a fast paced innovative environment while remaining flexible, proactive, resourceful and efficient are essential. Must excel in a multidisciplinary environment as an integral leader and team member across several project teams. Ability to analyze complex issues to develop relevant and realistic plans, programs and recommendations. Excellent written and verbal communication skills, strong problem solving ability, and attention to detail and quality are critical to success.
PREPARATION, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Ph.D. in Neuroscience/Neuropharmacology or related fields with 10-15 yrs. experience after postdoctoral training in pharmaceutical and/or biotech environment.
- Relevant drug discovery/development experience in the pharmaceutical industry, with a strong track record of scientific innovation and success in delivering clinical candidates.
- Demonstrated expertise as a project leader in Discovery and/or Clinical Development setting.
- Multidisciplinary in vivo pharmacologist/systems biologist with behavioral expertise as well as other complementary technical experience, such as electrophysiology, genomics, neurochemistry, neuroanatomy etc.
- Demonstrated experience and understanding in translational/biomarker research with a bench to clinic mind-set is very important (biomarkers include, EEG, genomics, plasma markers, various imaging modalities).
- Sage Therapeutics is a wholly virtual biotech company. The ideal candidate must have the passion and ability to forge and nurture key partnerships and collaborations with the external scientific community, including academia, nonprofit organizations and CROs.
- Demonstrated strong scientific reputation as evidence by good publication record
Note to Employment Agencies: Please do not forward any agency resumes. SAGE Therapeutics is not responsible for any fees related to resumes that are unsolicited.
SAGE Therapeutics will only accept job applications from candidates who are properly documented with authorization to work in the United States.
*External and internal applicants, as well as position incumbents who become disabled as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act must be able to perform the essential job functions (as listed) either unaided or with the assistance of a reasonable accommodation to be determined by management on a case by case basis.